Fri 26 Oct 2018 View all news articles

Gifted deposits driving surge in lifetime mortgages


13% of lifetime mortgages are being used to give a financial gift to family members, with much of money being used towards first homes, according to research from OneFamily.

Of the £3 billion released from equity in homes with a lifetime mortgage within the space of a year, £390 million was taken to give a living inheritance to loved ones.

Nearly half (47%) of all first-time buyers have said their family will be supporting them with a deposit for a first home.

OneFamily's data shows that two thirds of mortgages taken out for financial gifts have the interest paid monthly - significantly higher than the market average - indicating family members benefiting from the loan may be repaying this money.

For over 55s who want to give their loved ones a lump sum for their own house, on the average property valued at £379,000, the amount would require just a 6% loan leaving 94% of capital in the property.

Nici Audhlam-Gardiner, managing director of lifetime mortgages at OneFamily, commented: “Half of (48%) parents and grandparents who are helping their children financially do so with a deposit to help get them the property ladder and in many cases customers have been able to help multiple family members using the equity in their homes. Nearly half (47%) of all first-time buyers have said they will need money from loved ones to put towards a deposit for a first home.

“Without the help, saving for a deposit as a single buyer could take nearly ten years, so it is great to see that parents and grandparents are using their own properties to give the younger generations a helping hand. A lot is said about wealth being locked up in the older generations, but this is a great example of where wealth is being passed on, when and where it is needed.”

Source: Financial Reporter

Did you know we can offer mortgage advisor services? For more details, please contact your local branch.

As leading Wirral estate agents and lettings agents we have plenty to talk about and like to give our opinions on a few things too! Read about what we have to say, our latest news and industry news.